The Territory’s band of committed, unsung sporting volunteers will be acknowledged at the first Northern Territory Regional Sports Volunteer Awards, to be held in the middle of the year.
Volunteers will be recognised for their efforts to get grass roots sports back up and running as communities transitioned to a new normal during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Our sporting volunteers deserve to be acknowledged because they are the heart and soul of many clubs and organisations in the Territory,” said Kate Worden, Minister for Sport.
“These new awards are to say thank you, we know 2020 was a tough year and we are all getting used to the new normal. These awards are just another way we as a Government and the Territory are adapting.”
The efforts of volunteers have been critical to the ongoing delivery of community sporting initiatives which enriches the lives of Territorians.
“We all know that Territorians love their sport so this is your opportunity to nominate those volunteers who contribute an enormous number of hours in voluntary work to keep our sports running,” said Kate Worden, Minister for Sport.
These new awards will be in place this year following the annual NT Sports Awards being cancelled due to the COVID pandemics impact on sport during 2020.
Nominations are open from 19 April to 14 May in the following categories:
- Volunteer member/group award – awarded to an individual or group who displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the response to COVID-19.
- Volunteer coach award – awarded to an individual who has displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their club/organisation throughout the COVID-19 response in an unpaid volunteer coaching role.
- Volunteer official award – awarded to an individual who displayed outstanding contribution and achievements in an unpaid role for their club/organisation throughout the COVID-19 response in a volunteer officiating role.
- Remote community volunteer award – awarded to an individual or group who displayed outstanding contribution and achievements for their remote community throughout the COVID-19 response.
All nominees will be recognised at award ceremonies at:
- Alice Springs – Thursday 1 July
- Tennant Creek – Thursday 8 July
- Katherine – Thursday 15 July
- Darwin – 22 July
- Nhulunbuy – 30 August
Nominate an outstanding volunteer at: https://tfhc.nt.gov.au/ntrsva
This media release is from the Northern Territory Government.
Photo: School Sport NT.