CAS is working on the following priority issues and NSO’s can expect future communication on these matters.
Issue 1: Securing Governments’ investment in and funding of Preventative Health initiatives and a National Physical Activity Strategy
- Currently only 1.5% of Health funding from the Australian Government is directed towards Preventative Health. This % should be dramatically increased.
- Developing a National Physical Activity Strategy – in which sport will play a significant, pivotal role
- Developing and implementing targeted interventions to achieve the compliance of children’s daily requirement of 60 minutes moderate/vigorous physical activity
- Seeking commitment and action on the key strategies identified by the Health, Education, Sport cross-sector collaboration on reducing the health burden of Physical Inactivity
Issue 2: Encouraging Government to take a more strategic, consistent, long term funding commitments to essential elements of Sport
- Sporting Infrastructure – a coordinated, national approach is required with commitment from the 3 levels of government
- Commitment to a national audit of sporting facilities is essential for forward planning – commitment to the progressive repair, refurbishment and upgrade of facilities – provided within a workable timeframe to allow community organisations to continue providing quality, inclusive experiences from well maintained, safe, secure, functional community facilities.
- Commitment to greater clarity, certainty and less bureaucracy of funding agreements for NSOs – ensuring a multi-year commitment that allows organisations to confidently plan, invest and resource targeted strategies and programs – including high performance and pre-elite programs and supporting systems
- Providing a significant increase in funding to NSOs for the provision of Participation programs and initiatives that align with the goals of the National Sport Plan ‘Sport 2030’
- Providing incorporated community sporting organisations with access to the benefits of Charitable Status
Issue 3: Committing to support structures and organisations that demonstrate a dedication to enhancing:
- Coaching and Officiating – particularly course design and resources and a commitment to coach/official education, development and welfare such as the Australian Coaching Council
- Indigenous Sport through the establishment of a national voice as proposed at the 2017 National Indigenous Sport Summit
- Sport for Women and Girls – promotion and provision of participation and leadership opportunities for sport for women and girls – as proposed by Women Sport Australia
- Disability Sport – providing greater support of and resources for the quality participation in sport for people with a disability – through a collaboration with Australia’s Disability Sport National Organisations