CAS is concerned that too many Australian children are being denied the opportunity to develop a healthy active lifestyle.
This is occurring for a range of reasons:
- because their school does not provide a sport and physical education program
- because their family cannot afford to pay for their participation in a community sport club
The essential place of sport and active recreation is in the National Education Curriculum.
- CAS believes that the school system and school age years are the optimal time for all Australians to establish a lifelong habit and commitment to regular physical activity and sport
- CAS would like to see a greater commitment by Departments of Education to delivering and achieving what is proposed within the PDHPE curriculum of the proposed National Education Curriculum
- There are highly significant personal and societal benefits of effective physical education and sport programs conducted through schools
- There are significant negative impacts and lost opportunities of not working towards this goal
CAS believes that no child should miss out on receiving a PE and sport education.